Friday, September 18, 2009

Technology and Living

I have to be honest. I have a love-hate relationship with technology. 

I grew up in a computer-savvy family before computers were common in homes.  In fact, at one time, we had about 16 computers in our home for my dad to teach others how to use them.  Up through version 11, someone in our family owned every single version of WordPerfect since 4.3. I’m pretty sure we’ve owned at least one of every generation of Intel processor, from 8088/8086 to present. I’m self-taught in almost every software package I know.

I’ve always been a little bit of of momma’s boy . . . but the advent of email in college actually brought my mom and I even closer together, as we could communicate more regularly despite my crazy college-life schedule.  I communicated with her via email so much I once forgot to call her for over two months.  AIM and other technology interactions only compounded things.

I’ve had my own web site since the mid-90’s.  I had a stint as a DMOZ editor. I could go on . . .

Yes, I love technology.  But I also hate technology.

Blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Text Messaging, and several other forms of technological interaction are a major part of our culture today.  I know several people who practically live attached to these media outlets.  At times, I spend considerable time on them, too.  But I don’t always understand why.

When I have something to do, I don’t think about these interactions nearly as much, unless the something I need to do is related to them.

I spent the weekend with family traveling. Nobody had to tell me to focus on my family instead of twittering, texting, or Facebooking. I didn’t really think about them.

Since we got back, I’ve been following up on contacts, finishing up some work, and job searching.  It’s been 10 days since my last blog because I honestly was focused on other things.  I haven’t twittered much, not because I don’t have things to say, but because I’d rather use my time getting the things done than twittering about them. I tend to do these things more when I’m stuck, bored, or waiting on something.

I use technology in every way I can to move forward and get things done. Technology is a wonderful tool. But I refuse to become a slave to that which helps me. Technology is a terrible master.

Have you ever noticed that every “sin” is really either an excess or a perversion of something good?  Gluttony is excess of the necessary act of eating. Idolotry is excessive attention on the creation which is intended to point to the Creator. Adultery and other sexual sins are excesses or perversions of an act that God blesses and considers holy and beautiful within marriage.

I personally believe our society flirts with “technology sin.” The Church is no exception. God has allowed smart people to develop these technologies to help us. Instead we tend to orgy ourselves on them and wind up being slaves to them instead of maximizing our potential by using them as tools to accomplish our individual calling and giftedness in this world.

Anyway, now back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment