Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Marketing 'YouTube Resume with Navigation' - Day 1

My social media marketing strategy for Day 1 launch of my YouTube Resume with Navigation consisted of:

  1. Create a Blog
  2. Facebook
  3. LinkedIn contacts via “Ask a question”.
  4. Twitter
  5. Contact one influential blogger

I created a wordpress blog as I needed a “landing spot” for anyone who viewed my video resume and actually wanted to download my resume, interview or hire me. My 1st blog, Social Media Marketing in Music, resulted in a 50% increase in application downloads for a MySpace App called “Playlist Power” that my team built at Weekend Apps held at Google in February 09. So I am a firm believer that blogging needs to be part of a successful social media marketing strategy. A wordpress blog is sure easier than building a web page from scratch. I basically learned wordpress by starting a blog, using WordPress help, and searching for html tips when I wanted to try something a little more advanced. I also follow a few blogs about blogging in wordpress. One I like in particular is WebsiteInAWeekend by Dr WordPress.

I first posted news about my YouTube resume on facebook to see if any of my friends had problems viewing the video. I’d done extensive testing prior to posting, yet still, one of my friends caught a link that did not work in my blog (a last minute link I added after I completed 98% of my testing had a problem … the one link I had probably not tested).

Next I posted an update to LinkedIn, but I also used  ”ask a question” and contacted all my linkedin contacts in this way, both sharing the link and asking a legitimate question regarding best practices for gaining the attention of influential bloggers. This had a 2nd purpose as well, reminding all of my LinkedIn contacts that I’m still looking for work.

Late sunday night I tweeted “1st ever YouTube resume with “in-video’ navigation links & a unique “serial navigation” technique. http://bit.ly/DgQxr“. It was retweeted once in the 1st 3 hours.

I have not been using twitter very long so my number of followers is still under 100. What I really needed was someone with a lot of followers and some measure of authority in the subject area of job seeking/networking to tweet my link. I decided to contact Jason Alba, the founder of JibberJobber. I’d seen Jason present at a workshop this past spring and it was at Jason’s talk I decided that I would start a blog about something and learn how to blog. I also remembered him saying “any time you write a blog post, tweet a link to your post … trust me … just do it”. I’d followed his advice and found about 1/3 of my blog readers were coming from twitter in my 1st blog. I also remember Jason saying that he took the time to repond to inquiries and questions and so I thought, why not contact Jason Alba ? Maybe he’d tweet something about my resume. Jason responded and tweeted “This is awesome-navigation inside a YouTube video- closest thing to video resume that I can like! http://bit.ly/tatS9“. He also continued the correspondence and asked If I’d like to write a guest blog about this.

1st day results:

  • YouTube plays = 201  (269 minus the 68 that I’d logged in testing prior to launch).
  • YouTube navigation uses = 100 (164 minus the 64 that I’d logged in testing prior to launch)
  • Day 1 Tweets and RTs (retweets) = 22
  • Blog visitors = 62
  • Hiring Inquiries = 0  ( I wasn’t really expecting any this quickly)

No comments:

Post a Comment