Friday, September 11, 2009

How many friends can someone have on Facebook?

I’ve noticed many people on Facebook who have over 1000 Facebook friends.  I cannot fathom knowing 1000 people well enough to call each of them “friend.”  I think I have about a dozen people whom I would consider a friend.  The idea that a person can have 1000 friends cheapens what the word means to me.  My problem is not with people who have lots of Facebook friends; it is with Facebook’s notion of what the word friend means.  The 1828 version of Webster’s dictionary says the following:

One not inimical or hostile; one not a foe or enemy; also, one of the same nation, party, kin, etc., whose friendly feelings may be assumed. The word is some times used as a term of friendly address.

1000 acquaintances I can see, 1000 friends?  No way.

Friendship is rooted in an investment of time in another.  Modern society has accelerated everything, including the perception that friendship can be formed in a moment and produce fruit without an investment of oneself.  A friend is a rare  thing in this world; a friend is a gift.  How many friends can you honestly say you have?

Be thankful for each one you can count as friend.

Father, thank you for my friends.  I am grateful for the way they show me your forgiveness and patience through them.  Please give me the grace and love to walk as a friend with those you have put in my life.

[Via http://seetheway.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment