Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Facebook New @Mentions Make Passing Referrals Easy

I posted last week about the new Facebook @Mentions that again show Facebook is going head to head with Twitter.  Since that time, I have been using this new functionality when it’s relevant.  I must say it is very useful when used appropriately.  It is a great way to link people directly to a company’s fan page or another person’s profile right from your status update.  But I was pleasantly surprised to find out how effective it can be when passing a referral online.  Let me explain.

I saw last week where one of my friends had posted that she was looking for a company to help with design and production of shirts for her company.  Rather than simply telling her that I knew someone that could help with this need or even just typing that persons name, I decided to take advantage of the @mentions.  BAM!  A direct link to that person’s profile. But not only did my @mention post on her wall, it also posted on the person’s wall that I was referring to in the @mention.  Before I could even follow up with my friend to tell him that I had a referral, he had already contacted my other connection with the shirt production need! I then went to follow up with her and she was amazed at how promptly he was able to follow up.  He will likely get the business because within minutes she was able to find a recommend solution for her need.  Now that was EASY!

Next time you see a post from one of your Facebook friends asking for help and you have a connection you can put them in contact with, remember this is a perfect time to give the new Facebook @mentions a try!

facebook @mentions make passing a referral easy

No comments:

Post a Comment